- Chop up Piloncillo with hammer or knife. Heat for easier slicing.
- Combine water, Piloncillo, cinnamon, orange peel, and cloves in saucepan. Put over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the Piloncillo is dissolved, or for approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir coffee into the mixture. Cover saucepan and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain into bowl or pitcher using the fine mesh strainer.
- OPTIONAL: Pour the strained coffee into the saucepan (for best results, clean the saucepan first). Put over low heat. Slowly add chocolate chips to mixture while stirring. Whisk mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and pour over ice. Add optional milk or half-and-half for lighter taste.
(makes 4 cups of coffee)
4 cups water
3 oz. Piloncillo OR 10 tbsp.
4 tbsp. of ground Mandela Coffee
4 small cinnamon sticks
1 orange peel
milk or half-and-half
OPTIONAL: 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips